Sunday, March 10th 2019
The Book of Mark
If you want to boil the Gospel according to Mark into a couple of themes, you would have to include the Kingdom of God and Discipleship. Mark bypasses much of the discourse found in the other three Gospels, and tracks Jesus and his disciples as they do life together proclaiming and experiencing the life of Jesus and His Kingdom. As we track through this gospel together, you will want to use your favorite commentary to help highlight the deeper context in each scene. In reading this Gospel, you cannot miss the invitation of Jesus to submit your life to Him in every way which results in the true life within the Kingdom of God you were created for.
Best Practices for Missional Community Bible Study Facilitation
-As you begin each study, pray that God will speak to you through his Word.
-Listen attentively to other members. Encourage only Bible reading from phones during the study.
-Work to include everyone’s voice by asking follow-up questions, restating what you heard someone say, and asking for more details to thoughts given by group members.
-It is often helpful for someone to take notes of the discussion and send them out afterwards to reinforce key learnings from the study.
-Pray for one another and be accountable to applying the word of God to your lives.
- What does this scripture communicate about the heart of God?
- What does it teach us about ourselves?
- Does it challenge our thinking/beliefs in a new way?
Sermon Specific Question:
- When we feel our lives are turbulent to the point we think we’re going to die, how do we put our faith in Jesus who has authority over our circumstances?
- Where is our faith in Jesus when it comes to our resources? Do we trust that He’ll provide enough?
- When we encounter times in our lives where mysterious danger is looming, how do we see Jesus amidst the situation rather than just jump to all the worst possible conclusions?
- Do we trust God enough that we can be generous with what we have so we can share with others and, in the end, know we will still be provided for in the process?