Greetings! Below you will find questions which reference the sermon preached on Sunday, August 10th, 2014 at The Park. This week we studied Chapter 15. Have someone in your group read this section of scripture.
Each week new questions are posted to track along with the sermons. Work hard to facilitate discussion. Listen to the hearts around the room and close with prayer.
Intro to Gospel of John:
This Gospel is unique with regard to the 4 first-hand accounts of the life of Jesus. It was likely the last of the 4 written and focuses much of it’s view on the deity of Jesus. Like today, the question of Jesus’ nature and source of power is constantly being debated and the heart of John’s gospel is to give us a clear, concise, unashamed view of the Son of God. It is here in John that Jesus makes claims like, “I am the Bread of Life”, “I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life”, and “I am the Light of the world”. Reading the Gospel of John will provide you with an exalted view of Jesus as God in the flesh, sent to proclaim the good news.
- Why do you think it is significant that chapter 15 is strictly comprised of Jesus doing all the talking?
- What does abiding look like in your individual life?
- In verse 5, Jesus says, “Apart from Me you can do nothing.” How have you seen Satan’s lies influence your life in regards to having some sense of individual control or ability?
- What is the prerequisite for having God comply with our requests? Why do you think that is?
- How is Jesus’ commandment extremely different from the Old Testament’s commandments?
- Has there been a time in your life when you have experienced full joy? What was the cause for it?
- Should we be shocked that the world hates us? How did Jesus model what our response to a hateful world should be?
- Jesus says that The Helper will testify about Him through us. When is the last time you testified about Jesus to someone who really needed to hear it?