Greetings! Below you will find questions which reference the sermon preached on Sunday, March 30th, 2014 at The Park. This week we studied chapter 5:1-17. Have someone in your group read this section of scripture.
Each week new questions are posted to track along with the sermons. Work hard to facilitate discussion. Listen to the hearts around the room and close with prayer.
Intro to Gospel of John:
This Gospel is unique with regard to the 4 first-hand accounts of the life of Jesus. It was likely the last of the 4 written and focuses much of it’s view on the deity of Jesus. Like today, the question of Jesus’ nature and source of power is constantly being debated and the heart of John’s gospel is to give us a clear, concise, unashamed view of the Son of God. It is here in John that Jesus makes claims like, “I am the Bread of Life”, “I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life”, and “I am the Light of the world”. Reading the Gospel of John will provide you with an exalted view of Jesus as God in the flesh, sent to proclaim the good news.
- What are some observations you had from this section of scripture?
- Were there any new insights you learned about the passage from the sermon?
- What did you learn about God from reading this section of scripture?
- How would you describe your attitude toward dealing with difficult or pain?
- Jesus told the man to get up and walk. The implication was for him to stop looking at the pool and look to Jesus. In what ways do you look to other things instead of Jesus.
- Read Psalm 121 and discuss.
- The Jews didn’t refute the healing. They were upset that it happened on the Sabbath. Do we sometimes miss the point of what God is doing?
- How can we as a people be aligned with Jesus and believe in His power and ability more fully?