Read: Psalm 33
The Descriptive Psalms praise God for who He is. He is a loving God, rich in mercy. He is the Creator and all the world displays his majesty. He is worthy of praise. His very nature is worth our singing, our worship and our sacrifice. He is our God.
Can God be trusted? Yes. A resounding “yes” says the Psalmist. A “yes” that leads the heart of Israel to burst with song.
God is faithful over all creation, God is faithful in dealing with the nations, and God is forever faithful in covenant relationship with Israel. The one who contained the chaotic waters in the beginning (Gen. 1:2, Ps. 33:7) is the one who contains the rebellious plans of the nations (Ps. 33:10). We know God is trustworthy. “For the word of the Lord is upright” says the Psalmist, and “the earth is full of the steadfast love of the Lord” (Ps. 33:4–5).
Everything God does is an outpouring of his steadfast and faithful love. A love that made a good world and commissioned a divine-image-bearing people to care for that world and experience deep communion with their Creator. A love that triumphs over powers and forces of darkness. A love that became human to show in a physical and powerful way who the Creator really is once and for all.
God’s powerful and unceasing love for his people is one of his most defining characteristics. It extends beyond human comprehension. It defies logic. His love created the world and everything in it. His love rescues us from sin. His love for us is so absolute that we might trust in it, when everything else seems to fall apart.
- How would you describe God? What characteristics do you see on display in your life right now?
- How do you describe God as evidenced by the lives of those in your Missional Community?
- What is a defining characteristic of God that is hard for you to embrace or comprehend? What is it that keeps you at a distance?
Pray the Psalms
Read and pray through the Psalms this week. As you pray, reflect on the refrain for each Psalm written below. Conclude each Psalm with “Glory to the Father, to the Son and to the Holy Spirit. As it was in the beginning, is now and will be forever. Amen.”
- Psalm 33 – The earth is full of the Lord’s lovingkindness.
- Psalm 119:1-24 – Teach me, O Lord, the way of your statutes.
- Psalm 10 – You, Lord, have never failed those who seek you.
- Psalm 12 – You, O Lord, will watch over us.
- Psalm 18 – The Lord shall make my darkness to be light.
- Psalm 22 – Be not far from me, O Lord.
- Psalm 107 – Let us give thanks to the Lord for his goodness.