Sunday, August 14th, 2016
The book of Joshua records the culmination of Israel’s journey to the Promised Land. Here we see God fulfill His promise to give the land of Canaan to Jacob’s descendants. Joshua portrays the Lord as their general, the One who would lead His people in victorious battle if they would trust and obey.
God is the ultimate promise-keeper. As faithful and present as He was with Israel, so He is with us. “Be strong and courageous! Do not tremble or be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go” (Joshua 1:9).
As you read and study together, make sure to work hard at hearing from everyone that has gathered together. Pray for one another and be accountable to applying the word of God to your lives.
Questions for this week:
- Caleb was promised his land inheritance when he was forty years old but didn’t receive that inheritance until he was eighty five. Why do you think he had to wait forty five years? What do you think Caleb’s life was like while he was waiting for his inheritance?
- What inheritances did you feel like you deserved and yet God made you wait? What did you learn in waiting?
- What other stories of inheritance do we see in scripture? What effect do these stories have on our personal lives?
- What role do inheritances play in our lives today? In what ways can they impact our relationships with others?
- Read Ephesians 1: What spiritual inheritance do we have because of Jesus?