Sunday, February 7th, 2016
Intro to Colossians:
The theme of Colossians is the complete adequacy of Christ as contrasted with the emptiness of mere human philosophy. Christ is Lord over all of creation, including the invisible realm. He has secured redemption for his people, enabling them to participate with him in his death, resurrection, and fullness.
As you read, study and apply, ask the Holy Spirit to lead your group discussions. Work hard to make sure everyone has the opportunity to participate. Close by praying for one another.
- What are some other things Paul talks about that we should see in our lives when we “put on the new self” like he talked about earlier on in Colossians 3?
- Read Ephesians 5:22-33. How does this correlate with Colossians 3 and 4?
- How does the Gospel work its way into our current situations/contexts even when the circumstances we may find ourselves in are less than ideal?
- Colossians 3:18-19 usually has negative connotations when people normally hear it, thinking it minimizes the role of wives/women, but when you read it in the context of the rest of the chapter, how does it display the Gospel, the role of Christ, and our submission to him?
- Read versus 3:23: is there any part of your life, pertaining to work, school, etc., that you have a difficult time ‘working heartily’ for, as if working for the Lord and not men? How can you change your approach to this, in light of versus 3:17?