Greetings! Below you will find questions which reference the sermon preached on Sunday, July 6th, 2014 at The Park. This week we studied Chapter 12:1-36. Have someone in your group read this section of scripture.
Each week new questions are posted to track along with the sermons. Work hard to facilitate discussion. Listen to the hearts around the room and close with prayer.
Intro to Gospel of John:
This Gospel is unique with regard to the 4 first-hand accounts of the life of Jesus. It was likely the last of the 4 written and focuses much of it’s view on the deity of Jesus. Like today, the question of Jesus’ nature and source of power is constantly being debated and the heart of John’s gospel is to give us a clear, concise, unashamed view of the Son of God. It is here in John that Jesus makes claims like, “I am the Bread of Life”, “I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life”, and “I am the Light of the world”. Reading the Gospel of John will provide you with an exalted view of Jesus as God in the flesh, sent to proclaim the good news.
- What are some observations you had from this section of scripture?
- Were there any new insights you learned about the passage from the sermon?
- What did you learn about God from reading this section of scripture?
- Mary knew the truth that Jesus wanted the connection that came from worship, not just the religious act. How can we be reminded of that truth and stay focused like Mary was?
- Normally, we would assume that Jesus would want the perfume to be sold and used for the poor. However, that is not what Christ did in this chapter. How can we explain this? Why did He decide not to stop Mary?
- In chapter 12 Jesus rides in on a donkey. In 1 Kings 1 we find Solomon riding on a donkey while being anointed king. What are the implications of this similarity and why did Christ choose to ride a donkey?
- We read that many people heard of the miracles Jesus had done and traveled to meet Him. What is Jesus doing in your life today that is causing people to travel and meet Jesus?