Greetings! Below you will find questions which reference the sermon preached on Sunday, June 15th, 2014 at The Park. This week we studied Chapter 10:22-42. Have someone in your group read this section of scripture.
Each week new questions are posted to track along with the sermons. Work hard to facilitate discussion. Listen to the hearts around the room and close with prayer.
Intro to Gospel of John:
This Gospel is unique with regard to the 4 first-hand accounts of the life of Jesus. It was likely the last of the 4 written and focuses much of it’s view on the deity of Jesus. Like today, the question of Jesus’ nature and source of power is constantly being debated and the heart of John’s gospel is to give us a clear, concise, unashamed view of the Son of God. It is here in John that Jesus makes claims like, “I am the Bread of Life”, “I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life”, and “I am the Light of the world”. Reading the Gospel of John will provide you with an exalted view of Jesus as God in the flesh, sent to proclaim the good news.
- What are some observations you had from this section of scripture?
- Were there any new insights you learned about the passage from the sermon?
- What did you learn about God from reading this section of scripture?
- What was Jesus’ heart towards the Jews who weren’t believing? What is his heart towards us when we fail to follow Him or believe Him fully?
- What does it look like daily to follow the shepherd?
- How can we be assured that we are truly His sheep?
- Can we become so focused on a past success/failure (like the Jews during the Feast of Dedication) that we miss the glory of God right in front of us?
- The Jews were looking for the next political revolution. However, the revolution that Jesus started was one of belief. Like the Jews in the first century, is there something else you are looking for? Or is security in Jesus enough?
- Read verse 37-38. How did Jesus do what the Father does? How can we? What is the Father doing?