Greetings! Below you will find questions which reference the sermon preached on Sunday, May 25th, 2014 at The Park. This week we studied Chapter 8:31-59. Have someone in your group read this section of scripture.
Each week new questions are posted to track along with the sermons. Work hard to facilitate discussion. Listen to the hearts around the room and close with prayer.
Intro to Gospel of John:
This Gospel is unique with regard to the 4 first-hand accounts of the life of Jesus. It was likely the last of the 4 written and focuses much of it’s view on the deity of Jesus. Like today, the question of Jesus’ nature and source of power is constantly being debated and the heart of John’s gospel is to give us a clear, concise, unashamed view of the Son of God. It is here in John that Jesus makes claims like, “I am the Bread of Life”, “I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life”, and “I am the Light of the world”. Reading the Gospel of John will provide you with an exalted view of Jesus as God in the flesh, sent to proclaim the good news.
- What are some observations you had from this section of scripture?
- Were there any new insights you learned about the passage from the sermon?
- What did you learn about God from reading this section of scripture?
- Jesus lays out the difference between a slave and a son. What
things do you find yourself acting like a slave to? What benefits do
you experience as being a child of God?
- In verse 31 Jesus is specifically addressing those who “had believed
him”, What requirement does he give them in order to be true
disciples? How is belief and discipleship different? (Read Luke
14:25-35 for more of Jesus’ teaching on the cost of discipleship.
Reference John 13:35 to see the relationship of love and being a
- Make a list of the things that Jesus identified about himself
(attributes, relationships, etc.) and compare that to a list of the
accusations made toward Jesus?
- In verse 44 Jesus gives us valuable insight into the character of
Satan. What are they? We find out that Satan’s native language is
speaking lies. What lies do you hear from Satan?
- Are there ways you are ignoring Jesus and holding on to a false sense of freedom?