Greetings! Below you will find questions which reference the sermon preached on Sunday, May 18th, 2014 at The Park. This week we studied Chapter 8:12-30. Have someone in your group read this section of scripture.
Each week new questions are posted to track along with the sermons. Work hard to facilitate discussion. Listen to the hearts around the room and close with prayer.
Intro to Gospel of John:
This Gospel is unique with regard to the 4 first-hand accounts of the life of Jesus. It was likely the last of the 4 written and focuses much of it’s view on the deity of Jesus. Like today, the question of Jesus’ nature and source of power is constantly being debated and the heart of John’s gospel is to give us a clear, concise, unashamed view of the Son of God. It is here in John that Jesus makes claims like, “I am the Bread of Life”, “I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life”, and “I am the Light of the world”. Reading the Gospel of John will provide you with an exalted view of Jesus as God in the flesh, sent to proclaim the good news.
- What are some observations you had from this section of scripture?
- Were there any new insights you learned about the passage from the sermon?
- What did you learn about God from reading this section of scripture?
- If God is our judge, then why did Jesus say He did not come to pass judgement in verse 15?
- If we are to be like Jesus, should we only do what the Father has taught us? What is He saying/doing and how can we imitate that? (verse 28)
- In what ways do you relate to the Pharisees in this passage?
- Jesus says He is the light of the world. As a follower of Him, how has this passage shaped your thinking and your actions recently? How do you want it to in the future?
- Jesus always did the things that “pleased” the Father (verse 29). What does it mean as a follower of Jesus to please Him today?