Greetings! Below you will find questions which reference the sermon preached on Sunday, April 6th, 2014 at The Park. This week we studied chapter 5:18-47. Have someone in your group read this section of scripture.
Each week new questions are posted to track along with the sermons. Work hard to facilitate discussion. Listen to the hearts around the room and close with prayer.
Intro to Gospel of John:
This Gospel is unique with regard to the 4 first-hand accounts of the life of Jesus. It was likely the last of the 4 written and focuses much of it’s view on the deity of Jesus. Like today, the question of Jesus’ nature and source of power is constantly being debated and the heart of John’s gospel is to give us a clear, concise, unashamed view of the Son of God. It is here in John that Jesus makes claims like, “I am the Bread of Life”, “I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life”, and “I am the Light of the world”. Reading the Gospel of John will provide you with an exalted view of Jesus as God in the flesh, sent to proclaim the good news.
- What are some observations you had from this section of scripture?
- Were there any new insights you learned about the passage from the sermon?
- What did you learn about God from reading this section of scripture?
- Why were the Jewish leaders so troubled by the work and ministry of Jesus?
- Read verses 20-21. Jesus says He gives life to whom he wishes. What is significant about this statement, specifically to the listeners present in the story? Why is this statement significant today?
- How does one honor the Son of God?
- One of the recurring words of chapter 5 is: Judgment. What is the significance of this idea in Creation? How does this play out for those who believe (v 24)?
- Why is the World/our culture set against the idea of “judgment”?
- Starting in verse 31 Jesus describes 4 testimonies of Him that all of His hearers need to consider. Who or what are they and what is their significance?
- The discussion Jesus has here seems to speak of moving from death to life, from systematic religion to gracious faith, from our interpretations to His truth. Are you clinging to death or life today?
- Christ laid out a lot of theology thus far in the book of John. Using just the first five chapters of John make an out line of your theology on: Salvation, Baptism, Discipleship, and Miracles.