Greetings! Below you will find questions which reference the sermon preached on Sunday, November 24th, 2013 at The Park. This week we studied chapter 6:1-10. Each week new questions are posted to track along with the sermons. Work hard to facilitate discussion. Listen to the hearts around the room and close with prayer.
Intro to 1 Timothy:
Paul’s first letter to Timothy is packed full of vision, encouragement, and instruction. Paul, the seasoned missionary, has a deep love and connection with Timothy, the young pastor. If you have ever been in a mentoring relationship, you will connect well with what you find in 1 Timothy. These men are not so unlike Christ-followers today. They had fears and doubts, but never wavered in their commitment to the gospel message. Our prayer is that you will be encouraged and renewed in your calling as a result of this study.
- What are some observations you had from this chapter?
- Were there any new insights you learned about the passage from the sermon?
- What theology was present in this chapter?
- What did you learn about God from reading this chapter?
- Verse one and two speak of respecting earthly masters. How does this apply to us? In what ways does this “prevent the Gospel from being blasphemed?”
- Paul speaks of Christians being “satisfied” in God’s provision (verse 8). In what provision from God are you satisfied? In what things are you in danger of “plunging into destruction,” because of your unhealthy longings?
- What truly satisfies us dictates the religion we actually follow. Do you agree or disagree?
- Do you see a connection to the love of money and consumerism in our Western culture?
- Paul makes a pretty harsh assessment of the “love of money.” How has this played a factor in your life? Share your financial testimony with your community.