From time to time I am asked to recommend a book or to suggest a resource. Here’s my best of list. These are suggestions for people who are wanting to dig deeper into study. I am a big fan of the following.
Web / Computer Resources
- Logos for mac
I have used my fair share of bible study programs over the years. Logos for mac is the best of them all. My suggestion is to start with one of the less expensive library options and then add resources piece by piece. I started with the scholar’s library, which is probably a bit too much for the casual bible study person. Over the years I have added Edersheim, Piper, Wright, and many others too the mix. Only downside is how deep the rabbit hole goes, you can get lost in study for days with all the resources. I use Logos almost daily!
- Christian Classics Ethereal Library
This is a free resource maintained by Calvin College. The amount of available, free resources is mind blowing. Did I mention free? The search engine is a bit clunky but the extensive library is well worth the hassle.
This is one of my new favorites. Monergism is more of a search engine of sorts. More often than not when you search for a topic it will direct you to a third party where you can read an article or listen to a sermon. I have found hundreds of fantastic sermons & articles through the Monergism site. FYI… Monergism describes the position in Christian theology of those who believe that God, through the Holy Spirit, works to bring about effectually the salvation of individuals through spiritual regeneration without cooperation from the individual.
Commentary / Historical References
- Alfred Edersheim, The Temple: its Ministry and Services as they were in the Time of Jesus Christ & The Life and Times of Jesus the Messiah
- Ray Vanderlaan www.followtherabbi.com
- Tom Wright, The New Testament and the People of God: Christian Origins and the Question of God, Volume 1. & The Resurrection of the Son of God: Christian Origins and the Question of God, Volume 3.
- Warren Wiersbe, Expository Outlines on the new testament
Books you need to read
- Divine Conspiracy, Dallas Willard
- Celebration of Discipline, Richard Foster
- Ragamuffin Gospel, Brennan Manning
- Missional Church, Darrel Guder
- Unfinished Business, Greg Ogden
- Desiring God, John Piper
- The Pursuit of God, A.W. Tozer
- Life Together, Dietrich Bonhoeffer